Friday, June 1, 2007

June has arrived...

I really can't believe it's June already... where did the springtime go? When I think of spring, I think of mild days, sunshine, birds singing, flowers blooming, you know... all the lovely things the freshness of a new season can bring with it. Let me review our weather here.... rainy, rainy, rainy. Ok, so I'm exaggerating. Yesterday was a fabulous day after all... I enjoyed running along the river on my lunch break, along the Greenway Trail that was so fresh and nice. I had a hard time making myself return to work (indoors, no window, no sunshine... dreary). But wouldn't you know? As I ran, I didn't appreciate the beauty of my surroundings ~ instead, I was trying not to pull a muscle and concentrating on my breathing, wishing a different song would come through my headphones with a beat that would help me finish my run. That's the trouble with getting older and more busy.... the things you treasured when you had time to appreciate them, went unnoticed, but now that you realize what beauty surrounds you, you don't have TIME to appreciate those things, and long for the less complicated, less hurried days of your youth.

I think we all get in a "holding pattern" in life, and often forget to count our blessings. Even that phrase sounds cliche... how many times have I seen dishes in the sink and rolled my eyes over yet-another chore to complete? When in reality, those very dishes are a sign of having been well-fed, and well-provided for. Of course those are the points of view that would exist in the PERFECT WORLD..... we all know there is no such place in this lifetime. But, if I can step back from time to time, and see the many ways in which I'm more fortunate than I realize, I think I'd have a more balanced outlook, and be able to more easily find the silver lining in the clouds of my daily "stuff". Instead of lacing up my running shoes tomorrow (for my first 5k), and worrying about whether or not my left calf muscle is going to tweek or not, or wondering if the clouds are going to dump on us and rain-on-our-parade, I'll try to realize how fortunate I am to be ABLE to run, and how amazing it is to have the health, strength, and desire to set a goal for myself, and see it through to completion. Sure, I'll sweat, stink, and be out of breath, but those are all positive results from a positive experience (well, the "stink" part is questionable) ha.

I hope whatever your weekend holds for you, you take a brief moment to step back, realize that you're truly blessed, and always remember there's someone, somewhere, who would trade places with you in a heartbeat. Take stock of your GOOD FORTUNE, and realize that the little things that might not be as wonderful, are just that ~ little things. Set a goal for yourself, pour your efforts toward it, and reap the rewards!

You're worth nothing less than all the desires of your heart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: