Saturday, November 3, 2007

November already...

I cannot believe that it's already November. As I wrote last week, it's hunting season, the colors are now almost all gone from the trees, and the chill is in the air now. Although I like November for the changes I just mentioned, I also start to get a little anxiety when the calendar tells me I have to start thinking ahead to Christmas.

Christmas is always a bittersweet time for me, and so I try to take it as it comes, with a slower pace, and a lot of deep breaths. But although I know I have time before I start hanging the lights and decking the halls, I still end up sweating the fact that I'd better get my poop in a group, and think of what to do for a Holiday letter this year. I've started putting my thoughts together, and I'll get there in time I know, but it's an unnecessary pressure I place on myself.

I hope the rest of you don't stress over stuff like this during the upcoming holiday season. It's not what the holidays are supposed to be about. Instead of fretting over the stress and pressures we often place on ourselves, keep this one tip in mind..... "Don't SHOULD on yourselves". (thank you to my friend Glenda for that amazing phrase). Don't tell yourself you "should" send cards this year, if you don't want to. Don't tell yourself your house has to be decorated just so; don't get frazzled over Thanksgiving preparations if you don't feel like it. Don't let other people's expectations (or what you THINK other people expect of you) make your holidays uncomfortable or stressful. Just do what you want to do, and make these upcoming holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year) fill your heart with Joy, Love and Laughter! God is with you, and you can have a celebration of LIFE with the Lord at the center of it all!

No comments: