Sunday, October 28, 2007

Hunting Widow...

The season begins! Although it's been the season for Bow Hunting since Labor Day, it's now, in the fall, that I start to really feel the excitement in the house for the hunt of the great trophy buck. October used to bring with it cute little pumpkin pictures, cauldron of candies, and costume selections for the boys. Not so much anymore. Now, October means dusting off the camouflage, checking the hunting boots for decent laces, and setting up the targets in the backyard for improved accuracy. The guns get cleaned on the kitchen table, and the bows get adjusted for draw weight. The shower and tub used to have colorful bottles of kids' shampoo and bubble bath... now it has my shower gel next to a jumbo bottle of scent elimination hair and body wash. I used to feel left out when "let's go look for deer" were the words announced after dinner. Now I hope I hear the words, so I get the remote control to myself. ha

Ed went Elk hunting in Colorado recently, and had a fabulous time. The elk were elusive, and out of 9 elk tags, only one was filled. But the experience brought with it future hopes of taking the boys with him, into the majestic mountains, and share an experience of a lifetime in that amazing area in the country. The weekends now bring with them an evening of Ed taking Ben bow hunting, and Matt looking toward rifle season. He isn't as keen on bow hunting, because it would require sitting still, leaving the cell phone in the car, and keeping the conversation to zero. Heck, it's hard enough for Ben (he only lasts an hour or so). But for Matt, the cell phone can't be detached from his ear that long. But both boys are looking forward to the upcoming November hunting weekend with Ed and the Hippen boys. They'll go north for a 4-5 day hunting weekend, while I escape to a Scrapbooking retreat. The beautiful balance of family interests and solace, if you ask me.

In the meantime, between hunting excursions, I will be returning to the pool tomorrow. I had hoped for training again last week, but didn't make it there. The leg is healing nicely, and the pool is truly calling my name. I have Dara Torres in my sights (ok, so it's not likely I'll catch her, but I'm sure watching her amazing achievements in the magazines lately), and I'm going to give it my all as I go into this new season (again) and hope for some great times in the '08 meets.

No matter what you have in your sights, and regardless of what your goals are, take it all in pieces... one bight at a time. Don't fret over the whole feast, when you can only digest one small portion at a time anyway. Just do it day-by-day, and move toward the outcome that you know is best for your life! With determination, strength & courage, and the loving support and grace of God, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!!!! So, GO FOR IT! And have a super week!

No comments: