Sunday, October 7, 2007

Forced "Down-Time"

That's exactly what I'm experiencing right now... forced down time! I have a 1/2 marathon I'm registered to run in 6 days, and I've been training for it for 10 weeks.... and it's all coming to an end this weekend! I was running my training run yesterday of 6 miles, and after about 4 of those miles, something in my lower leg gave out............... I was reduced to limping home with my yellow lab urging me to keep moving. Normally, my old dog is lagging behind, barely keeping up with me, but yesterday she was antsy to keep running, and she would stop, look back at me, and come back to check on me. I was half tempted to hop on her back, and let her get me home. The pain in my leg was so persistent, that I headed into the ER last night..... they didn't opt to take an xray (I was thinking stress fracture was the cause) but thought instead that something could be torn or pulled. So, tomorrow I'll visit a sports medicine doctor, and see what we can do about this incredible leg pain. I am on crutches in the mean time, and lugging around an equalizing boot. I'm not a fan of "laying low", or "rest", but I'm finding I have no other choice in this case. I can't put any weight on that let whatsoever, and have zingers shoot up my leg from time to time..... I'm guessing the run next weekend is going to be out of the question. SIGH.......

Well, with that change in plans, at least I don't have to worry about which shirt or shorts I'm going to wear in the race. ha. I'll still plan to travel to WI for the event, as my friend and our kids have been looking forward to it for a very long time. Plus, I am so looking forward to seeing my sister, and will therefore limp through the trip, and hope my healing starts sooner than later.

If you are setting your sights on a goal, and have a freaky accident stand in your way.... view it as an opportunity to slow down, catch your breath, and enjoy life. There's plenty a person can do from the comfort of their couch. ha Make the most of unexpected down-time, and let yourself heal!

4 comments:

Sarah L said...

As your running/travel partner, I have to say that I am really disappointed about your "forced down time". We have worked so hard including that 11-mile run in the rain where we nearly got ourselves killed by the drunk driver! I love you and want you to be healthy so I promise to only pout about it a little bit! :)

Mary said...

Karyn-
Wow!! I'm in shock reading this blog. What a bummer--you've worked so hard to get to this point and "boom" life changed. I'm glad you're still making the trip to WI to support Sarah and your sister--pray softly and cheer loudly:>)

Take care of yourself and listen to the doctors orders!!

Mary

Sarah L said...

I like that, Mary....pray softly and cheer loudly! Mind if I use that in my work?

I just really hope the injury doesn't hinder your swimming! I would feel really guilty if it did, because I know that's your first love and you were only running because Kristin and I peer-pressured you into it!

Mary said...

I'm dying to know how the weekend went!

Sarah...feel free to use my quote in your work...I would be honored!!