Sunday, February 28, 2010

Skiing with the Confirmation Kids

This weekend, I took the 8th grade confirmation class skiing (7 kids and myself), and we were ready to have a FABULOUS day!! The forecast was for a perfect day of low 30's, no wind, and the sun was shining brightly! Ben got his snowboard buckled on, and hit the slopes.
I was able to catch him at the bottom of the hill for a quick pose
before he headed back to the chair-lift for more fun.
The afternoon was cut short, because one of his tumbles on the board was more than just landing in the snow... he landed hard on his left wrist. Unfortunately, I was already at the emergency room with one of the other kids that twisted her knee pretty bad, so Ben had to wait at the chalet for a bit while I tended to his classmate. I got her taken care of, returned to the ski resort, just to pick up Ben and return with him to the ER.
Thankfully they were fairly quick, and in just a couple short hours, we were back out the door with a cd of the drays to share with our doctor later this week. There doesn't appear to be a definitive break, but the navicular (sp?) bone may be fractured, and apparently that is a tricky situation, calling for further attention (time will tell).
Despite the unplanned end to Ben's day, he had fun with his friends, and the final photo was taken at the church parking lot snow hill, where there were tired smiles from all the guys. I hope the day spent at the hospital isn't an indication of what any future trip would hold, but I think the kids would all go back in a heartbeat...
and maybe I could get a few runs down the hills myself next time.
I guess that was simply a lesson to the kids that
even the best planned outings can have unexpected things come up.
We all just have to make the best of it,
and try to get the most out of every day that the Lord gives us.

No comments: